Sunday, 18 January 2009

Polar bear



After last nights weather it was a real treat to see the sun again this morning. I had planned on an outing with the Pentax 6x7 but the sunlight streaming through the windows illuminated a block of crystal on a table and made me think of a studio set-up instead.
I had got the polar bear a couple of months earlier but I couldn't make my mind up how to shoot it. I wanted to put it in a not too un-natural setting, something that felt icy and remote. So, when the crystal lit up this morning and resembled a block of glacial ice, I suddenly thought of the bear.
Given the weather reports are suggesting snow in the next couple of days it may be an apt image!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I've got a soft spot for polar bears. Remember Pippaluk, from London Zoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, huge bears yet so beautiful and sadly so endangered. I don't remember Pippaluk, and I don't think I have ever seen one in a zoo. Would love to go to the arctic though and see one in the wild! Though as a hamster I would probably get eaten!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got excited at first, thought polar bears had been coaxed out of wherever they're hiding due to the snow this week . . .

    I don't remember Pippaluk either but I do like this one in the photo, although he does look slightly sinister. Either that or just very interested in his next meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know what you mean silvermoss, I was getting nervous behind the camera lens!!!

    ReplyDelete